domenica 21 febbraio 2010

There's a gap in the market for anything that makes sense.

Why would I say that?



People that think I am I don't know what sort of a helicopters guru just becouse I design and build them, while in reality I am still learning a lot from others, asked me what is my oppinion on the elctric powered flight machines.



Also they wanted to know if I am aware of the fact that there is a gap on the market for electric powered helicopters.



The answer is in the title.



However electric powered flight machines have no future until the problem of the weight of the bateries will be solved, not to speack about the lifespan of one recharge (that now allows you to fly between one hour to only 30 minutes) and talking about recharge....the recharge time of at least 8 hours, but in most cases you can go up to 24 hours.



Not to mention the price of a new batery pack...



When batteries will cost 3% of what they cost now (a whole pack for one hour has the price of a fully ecquipped high class ultralight petrol powered flight machine, and you still have to pay for the airplane than...)



When the weight of a rechargable set to last you at least 5 hours in flight will be the weight of 10 gallons of petrol,



When recharging the batteries will take as long as refilling your tank (15 minutes)



ONLY THAN electric powered flight machines will emerge from the "Why not have a flight this sunday" category.



For now, you can only fly for no more than one hour, than... grounded for all the rest of the day to recharge.



Damn batteries!

2 commenti:

  1. I don't see a plan for Battery operated flight machines..

    Anyways not til how You said : when batteries become more efficient in size and longivity!

    I like the concept of Ultra lights though

    Norman Flecha
    Straight Talk
    www.151years.com

    RispondiElimina
  2. Bravo !

    Excellent article, Sir!
    The time will come: When the water power turbines will produce non stop electricity for free then I can imagine to buy 12 helios from You: With 1 I will fly 1 hour and in the meantime one of the other machines will be ready to start again. And as I said: all with free energy costs. Now my last question: How much does one of Your helios cost? Let me know. Thanks, MWGBC

    RispondiElimina